I hope you are enjoying this wonderful Washington Summer as much as John and I have been. The State Legislature adjourned in early July and if you can believe it, we are gearing up my 2016 re-election campaign. Here is a quick update for the session - I am very proud of what we have been able to accomplish for you in Olympia so far.
In January, we were facing the prospect of closing the State Library and reducing election services due to significant revenue reductions. I am happy to report to you that we worked with library supporters and county auditors from around the state. We gained the support of many House and Senate members to protect our library and elections!
For the first time in over a decade, the State Library has a stable funding source. The Legislature also provided state funding to meet federal requirements for elections, which are no longer funded by congress. These were two big victories for Washington State residents.
While we were unable to pass reforms for the Presidential Primary Election, I continue to work with legislators and political party leaders on both sides of the aisle to move the date of the Primary to early March 2016. My goal is to make the Presidential Primary more meaningful for voters.
Your support allows me to work for you.
Time to Build
It’s time to begin the 2016 re-election campaign and I need your help right now to continue this important work. We need to build on the grassroots support you helped me create in 2012. I need to raise money, gain endorsements, and build our 2016 team.
Will you please contribute today?
Will you endorse my 2016 bid for re-election?
Would you like to volunteer?
We have a lot to do and I need your help.
Thank you for your continued support,
Special Session Update
Today, April 29, 2015, the WA State Legislature reconvened for special session.
I want to thank the many supporters who contributed to my 2016 race over the past 4 days just prior to the start of special session. I am humbled by your well wishes and personal messages of support.
As you may be aware, state and legislative elected officials in Olympia are unable to fundraise while the legislature is in session. For now, my campaign will be unable to process donations until the legislature is out of session.
I am proud to be Washington’s Secretary of State and consider it a privilege to serve Washington.
There is always more to do and I stand ready to continue to serve.
Help me continue to work for you.
Over the last two years, I am happy to report that as your Secretary of State, I have led efforts to:
- Modernize our operations, like corporation filings and public records storage, to reduce costs and save you time and money.
- Improve the election night reporting process so you can see results faster and more reliably. On Election Night, this past November, our website easily handled over 15,000 hits per second, and the system never even slowed down!
- Create innovative partnerships with private sector companies. For example, our office teamed with Microsoft, and launched a program through our State Library, that has helped over 17,000 people in our state get family wage job skills training through the IT Academy – for free.
Thank you for your continued support!
- Washington Secretary of State, 2013-Present
- Thurston County Auditor, 2001 – 2012
- Thurston County Elections Manager, 1993 – 2000
- Thurston County Assistant Records Manager, 1991 – 1993
Honors & Awards
- Washington State Association of County Auditors Legislative Leadership Award
- Office of the Secretary of State – Auditor of the Year Award and Voter Outreach Award
- Four Certificates of Excellence in Financial Reporting from the Governmental Finance Officers Association
- Three National Achievement Awards from the National Association of Counties for Significant Innovations in County Government
- National Association of Election Officials, Election Center, 1993 – present
- Washington State Association of County Auditors, 2001 – present
- Washington Association of County Officials, 2001 – present
- Washington Finance Officers Association, 2008 – present